31 December 2009

Despite the Tiara, I am NOT Cinderella

Mood: Tired and headachy (that's right, 2009 has decided to charge out on the wings of a migraine.)

What I'm Watching: Judge Jeanine (I'm not typically home this early in the day and had no idea that such wonderful trash tv now existed!)

Current Word Count: *Ahem* No comment

It's New Year's Eve...that time of year when people all over the world celebrate the illusion of a new beginning. They make resolutions, promises to themselves that they're going to eat better, exercise more, be kinder, work harder, watch less tv, etc. Personally, I don't necessarily believe in the magical power of a new year. I think that if you're a basically lazy, chocolate snarfing smart ass (like me) on December 31st, you're going to be a basically lazy, chocolate snarfing smart-ass on January 1st.

However, I do believe in the power of positive life changes and rearranging your priorities to better reflect the things that are important to you. So, in the spirit of things, I've taken a good hard look at the things in my life that I'd like to change. So, here goes:

Things I'd Like to Change About My Life Which are In No Way to be Considered "Resolutions"

  • I'd like to make more time for my writing. It's my passion and recently when a friend referred to me as a writer, I realized just how right that felt. I need to find a way to make my writing a priority.
  • I crawled out of the shallow end of the gene pool which basically means that I'm short, fat and, based on family history, prone to a million and one different diseases. While there's not much I can do about this I have recently become very lax re: healthy eating and exercising. I accept that I'm never going to be a size 2 but I can be healthier. I need to make taking care of myself a priority.

I recognize that I'm a human being without the benefit of either fairy godmother or glass slipper and, as much as I might like it to, change definitely won't come magically at that stroke of midnight. However, I do have a sparkly tiara, a husband who loves me and thinks I'm beautiful...not in spite of my flaws, but because of them, and a job that, while stressful, is secure.

So, at midnight tonight, instead of thinking of all the things I'd like to change in my life; instead of lamenting the disappointments that visited my doorstep in 2009, I'm going to don my tiara, declare myself the queen of the New Year and have a great time because, really, we can make life changes any time...tonight? Is a time for celebration of all things that are fun and all things that are possible.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your chocolate and smart assness ;-) I love the idea of donning an actual tiara to kick the year off! But I suppose there can only be one queen of the New Year and you're she! Looking forward to your reign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you a little present over at my blog ;)

    http://courtneyreese86.blogspot.com/2010/01/bringing-in-2010-with-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new blog layout! It's so cool and it reminds me of JK Rowling's homepage, which is definitely a good thing. Good luck on the goals for the new year - I think they are totally attainable and I know you'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah: I firmly believe that every woman should have a tiara. Really. They're fun and even cleaning the toilet and taking out the trash is more fun with a tiara! (Okay, so the neighbors look at you a bit strangely but they're probably just totally jealous that they don't have an awesome sparkly tiara!)

    Courtney: Off to check out my present at your blog!! WoooHoooo! :) :)

    Anne: Thanks! The new blog layout took a bit of doing but it's worth it if it reminds people of authors like JK Rowling (squeeee!!!). :) Hope your New Year is off to a great start!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They're like cake without the carbs.